Global U Council
The Global U Council is an open forum for U faculty and academic administrators who are actively involved in international projects and partnerships, interested in meeting faculty across campus who are engaged in international work, and would like to stay updated on university-wide internationalization. The Council meets twice each semester and is chaired by the Executive Director, Dr. Sabine C. Klahr.
The purpose of the Council is to:
- Develop a network of globally engaged faculty across campus who share information on international initiatives and programs in their Colleges as well as opportunities for collaboration on research, grant opportunities, and global/intercultural learning.
- Provide advice and perspectives from around campus to OGE regarding global priorities, opportunities, and challenges as well as assist OGE in developing the global and intercultural dimension of the university.
- Serve as a “sounding board” and provide feedback to OGE regarding programs, initiatives, and administrative support provided by OGE.
- In collaboration with OGE, facilitate the planning for comprehensive internationalization of the U
- Receive updates and notices via a mailing list managed by OGE regarding international opportunities such as grants, fellowships, Fulbright awards, teaching abroad, connections with international universities, etc.
The Global U Council and OGE developed the Framework for Comprehensive Internationalization at the University of Utah. This document outlines major target areas and priorities with regard to a conscious and coordinated effort for the integration of international, intercultural, and global dimensions across the University. To be fully successful, it must involve active and responsible engagement of the academic community in global programs, networks, and partnerships. Comprehensive internationalization is defined as:
“a strategic, coordinated process that seeks to align and integrate policies, programs, and initiatives to position colleges and universities as globally-oriented and internationally-connected institutions” (American Council on Education)
To participate in the Global U Council, please contact Sabine Klahr at email@example.com in OGE. Council members are on a mailing list, which includes approximately 75 faculty members and academic administrators. Attendance at the meetings tends to be around 20 – 25 Council members. OGE posts meeting notes and other materials on Canvas.
For the 2019/20 academic year, Global U Council meetings are held:
2:00 - 3:30pm
3105 Gardner Commons
- January 29
- March 25