The Office for Global Engagement (OGE) at the University of Utah is seeking a Director for Global Risk Management. Reporting to the Associate Chief Global Officer and serving on the leadership team in OGE, the Director for Global Risk Management proposes, develops, and coordinates policies, procedures and activities that support the safety and well-being of University of Utah students, researchers, faculty and staff traveling abroad for academic experiences or university business. The incumbent also provides global emergency and response services for our international travelers.
This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced global risk management professional to join a growing team in OGE and lead the international travel health and safety portfolio for the University.
This position is responsible for providing leadership in developing and maintaining procedures to implement the University Of Utah Global Risk Management Plan and International Travel Policy. The Director for Global Risk Management supervises all aspects of emergency communication and 24/7 emergency response related to university- sponsored international travel. Responsibilities also include providing guidance on matters dealing with the health, safety and security of the University’s interests abroad and identifying and promoting best practices in the areas of health, safety and security of University faculty, staff and students engaged globally. This position leads the development, management, promotion, and oversight of a comprehensive travel abroad preparedness strategy and chairs a standing committee on global risk management.
- Lead the development, management, promotion, and oversight of a comprehensive travel abroad preparedness strategy in the following areas: policy development, review and implementation; proactive assessment of risks associated with travel to particular geographical areas; health and safety program audits; crisis management; training and outreach; coordinating internal communications and shared resources/services; representing the University Of Utah Internationally and nationally in the areas of health, safety and security; developing effective partnerships with key education abroad program providers, faith-based organizations, non-governmental organizations, corporations, and government agencies in the areas of health, safety and security
- Provide leadership in developing and strengthening current procedures which support the University of Utah International Travel Policy for all
- Supervises all aspects of emergency communication and 24/7 emergency response related to university-sponsored international travel.
- Provides guidance on matters dealing with the health, safety and security of the University’s interests
- Identifies and promotes best practices in the areas of health, safety and security of University faculty, staff and students engaged
- Serve as a member of the leadership team in the Office for Global Engagement
- Serve as the university’s primary liaison to key education abroad program providers, NGOs, corporations and government agencies regarding safety and security of university faculty, staff and students
- Work with key stakeholders across the University of
- Conduct safety, security, and well-being program assessments and audits.
- Manage vendor relationships (develop, implement, monitor, and maintain vendor approval and review processes).
- Prepare actionable health, safety and security alerts, briefings and updates to various university
- Maintain and analyze data related to student and employee international travel at the University of Utah, as well as data pertaining to international risk assessment in student and employee destination countries.
- Engage in continuous professional development to stay current on new technologies, innovation, information, etc. related to international risk management in higher
- Develop and maintain a University-wide incident reporting
The ideal candidate should possess a combination of the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in a related area; master’s degree preferred
- A minimum of five years of increasingly responsible experience in global risk management in a higher education setting
- Extensive experience with international travel and/or living/working abroad
- Intercultural communication skills and ability to work with diverse communities and with individuals from a wide range of
- Ability to communicate clearly, effectively, and persuasively – both verbally and in writing – to diverse audiences, including exceptional public speaking and presentation
- Experience building and fostering strong relationships with staff at various organizational levels, faculty, university leadership, and with clients and the general public
- Experience developing training materials and programs
- An ability to assess priorities and develop a plan of action when responding to emergencies
- Leadership and organizational ability to balance conflicting interests; prioritize assignments; and coordinate multiple projects and people
- A record of sound judgment and decision-making abilities as reflected in the ability to remain calm in crisis situations, handle matters confidentially, and exercise discretion with sensitive
- Research and analytical skills as reflected in the ability to elicit pertinent quantitative and qualitative data from various sources, identify key factors, trends and issues of concern; analyze and summarize possible implications and make recommendations for action.
- Proficiency with various information technology tools including data management
- Active engagement with global risk management networks in the United States
OGE is a comprehensive international education office reporting to the Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs. The office serves as the University of Utah’s hub for global programs and connects, informs, and supports the university’s international initiatives. OGE comprises 55 staff members, including six directors, and is home to:
- International Student and Scholar Services – providing support services for the university’s international students and scholars and maintaining compliance with immigration regulations.
- Learning Abroad – providing promotion of opportunities, advising, and support for students to participate in international academic experiences abroad and support for faculty to lead programs abroad.
- The Global Learning Initiative – providing professional development, funding, and advising for faculty to integrate global learning in the curriculum via the development of global and intercultural learning outcomes and an assessment process.
- Global Campuses – providing oversight for the University of Utah Asia Campus in South Korea and coordinating international recruiting programs with undergraduate studies and admissions.
- Global Risk Management – providing support services to faculty and students addressing the health and safety risks associated with international travel.
- Global Programs – promoting the development of revenue-generating customized training programs for international students, educators, and professionals with a focus on the academic strengths of the University of Utah and the expansion of cross-cultural relationships for the university.
The University of Utah is the state’s flagship institution of higher education, with 18 schools and colleges, more than 100 undergraduate and 90 graduate degree programs, and an enrollment of more than 32,000 students. In 2019, the university joined the Association of American Universities, an invitation-only, prestigious group of 65 leading research institutions marked by excellence in academic expertise and research impact, student success, and securing resources in support of core missions.
A key mission of the university is to build an inclusive community that fosters a sense of belonging and well-being in which every student can thrive. The university is committed to removing barriers that have been traditionally encountered by individuals from underrepresented groups; strives to recruit faculty and staff who will further enhance our diversity; and makes every attempt to support their academic, professional, and personal success while they are here.
The main campus is located in Salt Lake City, a vibrant metropolitan area with a diverse population and numerous cultural and outdoor activities. Salt Lake City is ideally situated to offer both unmatched outdoor and exciting urban experiences. With ready access to spectacular skiing, mountain biking, and hiking and a vibrant array of cultural, culinary, and entertainment venues, combined with the region’s strong economy and dynamic growth, Salt Lake City offers a high quality of life.
The University offers a competitive salary for this position and an exceptional benefits package.
To Apply for the Position:
To apply, please access the University of Utah application portal: https://utah.peopleadmin.com/postings/118898 (PRN26818B) where you submit your CV/resume, a letter of application detailing how you meet the qualifications for the position, and the contact information for three professional references. For questions regarding the position, contact: Sovanna Behrmann at email@example.com (Please do not send the application documents to this email address, but apply via the University of Utah job application portal.)