Global Travel Safety

Global Travel Safety

COVID-19 Update

To protect the health of our community, the Office for Global Engagement team is currently working remotely; however, we can be reached via email. Visit our staff directory page to connect with us.

Details on the interruption of learning abroad and other international programs can be found here.

Please visit the U’s Covid-19 Central @theU page for the latest updates on the University’s response.


All University of Utah employees and students participating in University-affiliated international activities must register their trip before departure. Instructions for doing so are available via the links below.


What happens if you get ill or injured while abroad? What if you lose your passport? What if there is an earthquake or political conflict in the country where you are traveling or studying? Understanding and the resources available to U travelers helps prepare you for safe travel.

More information on Safe travel


Individuals requiring assistance abroad should contact the area’s emergency services and then the University’s international assistance provider (CISI/Team-Assist) at +1 312 935 1703.

More information on Emergency Support



Information about Travel Insurance can be found below:

University of Utah International Travel Insurance
The University of Utah Permanent Travel Safety and Insurance Rule (2018) outlines the travel registration and insurance enrollment requirements for all University-affiliated  travel to international locations.  All University members (faculty, staff and students) are required to enroll in University of Utah Group International Health Insurance Coverage for their dates of international travel.

University of Utah international insurance coverage is provided by Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI) and contains (4) principal elements:

  1. CISI Health Insurance for travelers (Accident and Sickness)
  2. Team Assist (AXA) 24/7 Traveler Assistance (Medical, Travel and Technical)
  3. Emergency Medical and Security Evacuation
  4. International Travel Health and Safety Intelligence

Review the information below for detailed information about each component

CISI Health Insurance for Travelers (Accident and Sickness)
University of Utah travelers can review the following documents for common questions regarding insurance policy coverage, benefits, and claims.

Team Assist (AXA) 24/7 Traveler Assistance (Medical, Travel and Legal)
University of Utah travelers have 24/7 access to medical, security and travel assistance provided though Team Assist (AXA).  Team Assist representatives can be reached by phone or email at any time in order to provide emergency assistance or support.

International Insurance Charges/Fees

  • Rates are calculated weekly for the travel up to 3 weeks in length
  • Rates are calculated monthly for travel longer than 21 days
University of Utah International Insurance Enrollment Charges
Enrollment Dates Rate Calculation Charges
1-7 days  Weekly Rate  $10.55
8-14 days  Weekly Rate  $21.10
15-21 days  Weekly Rate  $31.65
22-35 days  Monthly Rate  $41.25
36-65 days  Monthly Rate  $82.50
66+ days  Monthly Rate  $41.25 per month


Emergency Medical and Security Evacuations
Please see Emergencies Abroad.

CISI Online Portal
University of Utah traveler enrollment in CISI insurance coverage provides access to an online portal (“myCISI”) through which policy holders are able to quickly access insurance policy tools and support including Policy ID Cards, Consulate Letters, Extended Coverage and Travel Intelligence. All student travelers will receive "myCISI" Portal login information via email after student travel registration and enrollment steps have been completed.

Dependent Enrollment
Student travelers have the ability to enroll dependents (spouses and children) in University insurance coverage after student travel registration and enrollment steps have been completed. Dependent enrollment is obtained by completing and submitting a Dependent Enrollment Form. Charges vary depending on the relationship to the primary University traveler.

Leisure Travel
University travelers interested in leisure travel are not eligible for insurance through the University.  Travelers seeking international insurance and assistance coverage for personal/leisure travel are encouraged to research providers in the marketplace such as Patriot Travel Medical Insurance or HTH Worldwide Insurance, or use an insurance marketplace search platform such as SquareMouth.

Extensions of Coverage
Travelers who are enrolled in University of Utah Group international insurance coverage for dates of University travel are eligible to extend their international insurance coverage up to 1-month before, or 1-month after, the dates of their recognized University travel.  (Instructions for extending University group coverage for up to 1-month for personal/leisure travel dates before, or after, recognized University travel can be found here.)

International Insurance Exemptions
The University of Utah does not currently recognize any exemptions from this policy for students traveling to international locations.  All University of Utah student travelers are required to register their international travel, and enroll in University of Utah International Insurance coverage regardless of any other insurance coverage they may have – including insurance possibly required by providers, foreign institutions or governments (i.e. Germany, Australia).

For requests of official University of Utah proof-of-insurance documentation (for your time abroad) – please see the CISI Online Portal information above.  If you are unable to obtain your visa letter through the CISI Online Portal – please contact the Office of Global Risk for direct assistance.


The Office for Global Engagement works alongside UTravel Services, Learning Abroad, and other campus units to monitor world events and their potential impact on University travelers abroad. The moment we learn about an emergency abroad where University travelers are located, we work to reach out to contact travelers, confirm they are safe, and provide information about support and assistance available to them. For student issues and responses, OGE works very closely with Learning Abroad and/or the College or academic unit associated with the student activities abroad.

Depending on the emergency, there are several things you should do.

  • First, if appropriate, you should contact the emergency services number in your country (the equivalent to 911) for immediate support.
  • If you need additional assistance, you can also contact the University international assistance provider (CISI/Team-Assist) at (312) 935-1703.
  • Additionally, you can email the U’s Global Risk Manager at

Contact OGE Global Risk Management at (801) 587-8888 or email for questions/concerns related to international travel, international insurance, or other health and safety issues.

Have Questions or Need Help?