Fulbright-Hays Doctoral Dissertation Research Abroad



The Fulbright-Hays Doctoral Dissertation Research Abroad Program supports language training and dissertation research abroad in modern foreign languages and area studies for periods of six to twelve months. The program is open to U.S. citizens and permanent residents, and proposals focusing on Western Europe are not eligible. Applicants must demonstrate that they are doing research in a language other than English or their native language.


  • US citizen or permanent resident
  • Advanced to doctoral candidacy before award begins
  • Planning a career in teaching or government
  • Studying a modern language or area studies
  • Proficient in the language(s) necessary to carry our your research


  • Project allowance for research related expenses such as books, copying, tuition and affiliation fees, local travel, and other incidental expenses.
  • Maintenance and dependent(s)’ allowances based on the cost of living in country or countries of research for the fellow and his or her dependent(s).
  • Travel expenses.
  • Health and accident insurance premiums.


The application cycle opens April 2015 and the deadline to be anounced soon. They award 90 Fulbright-Hays grants each year.

How to Start the Application Process?

Information about the Fulbright-Hays Program:
Prof. Howard Lehman
Fulbright Faculty Representative
154B Orson Spencer Hall
(801) 581-6246

Information about the administration of the Fulbright-Hays Program:
Jolyn Schleiffarth
Fulbright Program Adviser
The Graduate School
302 Park Building
(801) 581-6020

The Fulbright-Hays award is administered by the US Department of Education. More information...

You can also contact the program officer, Pamela Maimer
Fax (202) 502-7860
Telephone (202) 502-7704